Doors

Prior to removing the doors I stripped the door lock and window window mechanisms. I realised that careful labelling would be critical later on. Well I got that bit right. I used labels, as below, and for smaller parts plastic bags. I then put these parts into boxes with a summary written on each box of what was inside. However this was very inefficient as there was no master list of all the parts, so if I couldn’t find something immediately I then had to start hunting through the most likely boxes. While the bodywork was being repaired I created a master list of everything and numbered the boxes. This also included keeping track of those parts which were elsewhere for repair, or needed for the body repairs. Sadly this confirmed that a couple of parts had seemingly gone missing, I’m still hoping I will uncover them somewhere.

untitled-1-2.jpg
Door lock Mechanism
IMG_2635
Right hand side door push buttons
IMG_2636-Edit
Right rear window regulator (winder) mechanism

Repairing the doors is mainly going to be cleaning everything up and replacing all the chrome clips etc. In terms of the doors themselves the main issue looks to be the door skins which need replacing.

Jag_Blog-16
Remains of wood packing, and handmade chrome fasteners

The wooden packing (shown above) fits under the metal shaping piece attached to the rear of the door frame. As you can see this is pretty much destroyed by age, replacing this with marine ply will be a better approach. The aluminium pieces are home made clips for the top door chrome. Proper clips were not available when I did this, so I had to make my own. I hope they can be sourced now as screwing these in from the bottom is a real pain.

Door distance piece-6
Shaping piece on rear of door

The purpose of this is to match the door to the shape of the door frame.

Boot

Stripping the boot fittings was very straightforward. I left the fuel pump for later. As per normal (for me) I wasn’t doing the job from scratch. The chrome trim and lights on the boot lid had been removed prior to this. Dismantling the car in three locations (over a period of time) hasn’t helped with location of parts!

As an aside, the green shock cord was used to hold a two litre Lemonade bottle filled with  water for topping up the radiator. Only as a precaution of course.

Jag_Blog-78
Spare water. Just in case!
Jag_Blog-12
Left side boot spring
Jag_Blog-13
Right side boot spring showing sleeve protecting wiring

The above image shows the protection for the wiring loom where it attaches to the boot arm. The annoying thing in the foreground is the number plate wiring.

Jag_Blog-14
Boot lid removed
Jag_Blog-79
Boot wiring and wheel brace
Jag_Blog-15
Petrol pump in left side of boot

This is a replacement for the original pump. I seem to remember it was a generic part, and incredibly noisy. When turning on the ignition there was an almighty rattle as the carbs filled with petrol. You could also hear it clicking away when idling in traffic. This needs to be replaced, or a lot more sound deadening material fitted around it.

2 thoughts on “Doors and Boot

  1. if you are driving a MK2 since 50 years like me , you dont want to miss that “rattle” because it is part of the nonelectronic checkup before you start the engine

    Like

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.